The ultimate fall facts sheet - 2023 edition
While no one wants to experience a fall, the reality is that falls affect more people than you may think.
The Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) has published some interesting fall statistics that it’s important to be aware of:
- Between 2019 and 2020, falls resulted in a total of 224,000 hospitalisations, and unfortunately, 5,300 deaths.
- Over 50% of the falls that led to hospitalisation occurred on a single-level surface (like a flat floor, as opposed to falling down the stairs, for example).
- In fact, only 7% of hospitalised falls involved stairs or steps.
- 59% of fall hospitalisations and 94% of fall-related deaths were for people aged over 65.
- The average amount of time spent in hospital due to a fall is 6.9 days.
- In 2019 and 2020, 42% of hospitalised injuries and 40% of injury-related deaths were due to a fall.
- Over half of fall injury-related hospitalisations involved a fracture.
- Falls can occur anywhere but are most common in the home. In fact, 66% of falls happen in private residences.
Assess your fall risk today
Keeping your home hazard-free is the first step towards in-home fall prevention. We recommend re-checking your home for these fall hazards weekly to maintain your safety at home. Think of it as a weekly safety audit!
To help you along with these audits, we’ve created a FREE printable Fall Hazard Checklist.
We don’t want you to be a statistic
The first step to addressing falls is to be prepared. Falling can be distressing, but it can lead to even further complications if you’re unable to stand up. That’s where HomeGuardian comes in.
HomeGuardian is a world-first care assistive technology device that utilises non-invasive artificial intelligence to make independence achievable and comfortable – without the need to use wearables, pendants or smartwatches.
The device can determine what is and is not normal in an individual’s environment – all without recording, storing or sharing any images and videos.
When HomeGuardian notices a critical incident, such as a fall, it automatically sends an alert to up to three nominated emergency contacts within 2s of the incident detection. There’s no need to press a button, make a phone call, or activate an alarm via voice commands.
HomeGuardian.AI is a registered NDIS provider, while our devices meet strict Aged Care Quality and Safety Standards.
For more information, give our friendly Care team a call on 1300 248 324.